Monday, September 19, 2016

Carpe Diem #1059 Harvest Moon


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

Welcome at a new episode of our daily haiku meme Carpe Diem Haiku Kai. This month we have a tribute to Jane month to honor the Queen of Haiku and Tanka, Jane Reichhold who passed away back at the end of July.
Yesterday I honored her wisdom and knowledge and today I will step back, because it's not about me, but it's about Jane, my close friend, mentor and co-host who I miss dearly.

Today's prompt is Harvest Moon. And it just happens to have been Harvest Moon, because Harvest Moon is the name for the full moon of September. It's the full moon closest to the autumn equinox which will take place on September 22nd. The Harvest Moon of this year was an awesome one, it was a bright one and the moon looked bigger than ever, because she was closer to us than in other months.

Harvest Moon
With this prompt we enter the autumn section of Jane Reichhold's "A Dictionary of Haiku" from which I have extracted all the prompts, all modern kigo (seasonwords), for this tribute month. Through the haiku she, Jane Reichhold, uses as examples for the modern kigo I hope to inspire you to create haiku or tanka to honor Jane ...

harvest
the golden grain color
in the moon

the harvest moon
bringing in the pumpkins
yet on the porch

© Jane Reichhold

And than this beauty, also by Jane Reichhold, but taken from the online version of "A Dictionary of Haiku" ... a real masterpiece:

turning out the light
renting the room to the moon
for a night


© Jane Reichhold

Ah ... that last scene ... so mysterious, so full of spirituality, so full of romance and even full of sensuality ... awesome haiku ...

Singing Moon
Here is my response on this prompt inspired on the haiku by Jane to honor her:

through the broken window
I can see the Harvest Moon -
a song for my friend
white Chrysanthemums and red Roses
Singing Moon
*


Singing Moon
the old Celtic druids already knew

autumn equinox
I look at the Corn Moon
*
through the broken window


© Chèvrefeuille

* Singing Moon and Corn Moon are also names for the full moon of September.

I hope you did like this new episode and I hope that Jane has inspired you to create / write haiku or tanka.

This episode is NOW OPEN for your submissions and will remain open until September 24th at noon (CET). I will try to publish our new episode, twilight, later on. For now ... have fun ... be inspired and share your haiku, tanka or other Japanese poetry form with us all.


3 comments:

  1. Kristjaan, I cannot see the linky tool for me to link up with my haiku. So is it ok if I post my link here? https://readinpleasure.wordpress.com/2016/09/20/carpe-diem-harvest-moon/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem at all Celestine. I will link you to the linking widget.

      Delete
  2. pumpkin repeat
    on the horizon
    Harvest Moon

    ReplyDelete