Thursday, September 5, 2013

Carpe Diem #290, Tooroo (lantern)


Dear Haijin, visitors and travelers,

We are on our way through early-autumn and today we have an extra-ordinary prompt, because I think it's not especially for autumn, but it's really a classic kigo for autumn. Today our prompt is Tooroo (lantern) and it's referring to the custom to make handcut lanterns to enjoy the moonlight. As you maybe know the Japanese say that the autumn moon is the most orgeous moon of all seasons and they tried to copy that moonlight by handcut made lanterns (Tooroo).

Source: Tooroo
So Tooroo is somewhat like watching the moon in autumn.
In the Edo period, they put cut-out lanterns (tooroo) on the shelf for the ancestors and the eaves of the home and enjoyed them in the moonlight as an offering to the ancestors.

cut-out lanterns
to enjoy the moonlight in autumn -
croaking frogs


croaking frogs
disturbing the autumn night peace -

scattered full moon

lightning the lantern
the sun hides behind the horizon -
a moonless night


Not very strong haiku I think, especially the first and the third, that second I think is very nice, but that's not up to me to decide. That's up to you my dear haijin, visitors and travelers.

I hope you like this episode and that it will inspire you all to write and share your haiku on Tooroo. This prompt will stay on 'till September 7th 11.59 AM (CET) and I will publishe our new episode, Bon (Bon Festival), later on today around 7.00 PM (CET). !! Tooroo is open for your submissions today at 7.00 PM (CET) !!




2 comments:

  1. I liked the last one the best. It creates an imagery of autumn for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the last one the best, too.

    ReplyDelete